October 3, 2016
Call to Order – Josh Noblitt
Moment of Reflection
- New neighbors moving in
- New baby born on Gammon
- FCS moved into the neighborhood behind Carver Market
- Progressive Dinner was best one yet!
APD Representative – Officer Ferguson
- Car break-ins are still a very big issue – suspected group of juveniles. Stealing computers, purses, and guns left in cars.
- 4 aggravated assaults; arrests on 2.
- GA State will have its own police force in the Turner Field property once they take ownership.
- Session begins in January
- Must be registered to vote by October 11; try earlier online because some are being bounced back
- Penny sales tax is for infrastructure, including rail, roads, sidewalks, etc.
- Opportunity Schools – vote to keep local control of schools or give state control to schools
Carla Smith’s Office – Sheryl
- Two public safety events upcoming
- Oct 6: 9-1-1 Call Center Tour
- Oct 20: Active Shooter Event
Beautification – Chris McCord
- Scheduling dumpster and waiting for confirmation. Will notify via email blast
Code Enforcement – Rick Sakaske
- Went to MARTA meeting
- They are now saying they will now only demo buildings that have been burned
- Tracking down Meldon homeowners of abandoned buildings
- If houses are missing doors, call Code Enforcement (404-330-6190) to report
Sonoco Task Force – Kim Bego
- Last meeting Sept 21
- Hope for next meeting is to meet with Sonoco plant manager and two additional leaders in the company
- They responded to our list of immediate needs/requests
- We have held them accountable on a few items where they have dropped the ball
- We’re trying to work with them
- Sonoco has hired 3 fulltime employees whose sole responsibility is to pick up trash
Progressive Dinner – Josh Noblitt
- Great turnout – 50-60 attendees
- Grateful to all hosts
Treat Street – Katie Delp
- October 30th, 5pm – 7pm
- This year will be in South Atlanta Park on tennis courts
- We need candy!! Please drop off at Community Grounds or at new FCS offices.
- We also need adult volunteers to set up, clean up, and run games during the evening.
- Planning committee meeting just after tonight’s Civic League meeting
- Please note our December Civic League meeting will be our Holiday Potluck
- Citizen’s Fire Academy opens if October if you’re interested in learning about the fire department
- Oct 8th at Boulevard Crossing Park – 2nd annual playday there. Free games, food, sports, etc. 2pm-6pm
- NPU is accepting grants for nonprofits in our NPU; see Russell for details and due by Oct 14
- Free childcare at YMCA on needs basis
- Morehouse School of Medicine is looking to enroll families in an epilepsy study for pay
- NPU meeting is October 17
- Carver Students are circulating on Martin (seems to have shifted from Gammon to Martin), breaking into and stealing cars.
- Next door app – someone mentioned getting knocking on their windows on front doors around 11 at night.
- Beltline Connector meeting was good, and more meetings will be happening.
- Moving in the Spirit is hosting a fundraiser: football, beer, and great folks
- Southside Striders walking at 5:30 a.m. on Wednesday mornings from Carver Market parking lot
- SACL elections happening in February
Last modified: October 3, 2016