August 1, 2016
Call to Order – Josh Noblitt
Moment of Reflection
- New house for sale on Brown
- Cars gone on corner of Thirkhield & Jonesboro
- Dorothy Avenue corridor is fully owner occupied
- Over 100 backpacks sold in Carver Market
APD Rep – Officer Dillon
- Listed recent crime in Villages of Carver – 2 shooting cases assigned to Gun Task Force
- Noticed some robberies with window entries, which is a bit uncommon
- Laptop stolen from Gateway Bldg is only incident in South Atlanta mentioned
- Recently there was an officer-involved shooting at the University Ave exit of I-75/85. Investigation is happening currently with GBI.
Cheryl Bennet – Councilperson Carla Smith’s office
- Working on public safety series on active shooters and 911 center tour
- Bulk trash picks up once a month
- Can request dumpsters from the city for cleanups
Sasha Williams – Commissioner Marvin Arington
- Introduced herself and she recently replaced Jimmy Jones
- District Dialogues
Park Cannon – District 58
- Introduced herself & open to visitors
Beautification – Chris McCord
Code Enforcement – Rick Sakaske
- Of original 20 properties, 10 have been demolished or redeveloped
- Rick gave a status report for all 20 properties
Back to School Campaign – Sherika Gordon
- We’re welcoming Carver students back to school on Wednesday, August 3, 2016.
- Signs available and other celebratory items welcome
- Meet at 7:45 a.m. in the Carver Market parking lot
- Scaled back this year.
- Kickball game on August 20, 2016 at 3 p.m.
- No registration or tournament. We’ll set up teams day of when we arrive and have a grill.
- Great community day!
- Save the Date: September 24
- Southside neighborhood focus this year
- 4 courses: Cocktails/Appetizers, Salads, Main Course, & Desserts
- James Baptiste is organizing host homes
Food Oasis – Neighborhood Teams – Yvonne Wagner
- Interesting in supporting healthy food efforts in the community
- Launching Neighborhood Collaboration Teams
- Through Sept 11 applications available for those in South Atlanta. Will form a team to help create a plan for the neighborhood.
- Stipend of $250 for all participants for their time
- Food Oasis supports the 2 for 1 SNAP benefits at Carver Market
Sonoco Request – Bryan Laney
- Just hired a new plant manager a couple days ago.
- This new manager should be able to lead housekeeping efforts better than what’s been happening.
- We recognize there are concerns with privacy fencing and wind blown trash
- Sonoco is putting in a 500 gallon diesel tank.
- Gates should be closed to reduce wind blown trash
- Diesel talk meets all codes and will be fenced and locked.
- Community raised rat and mosquito issues.
- Diesel is to fill fork trucks
- Rick suggested Sonoco return in 60 days to see how their promises have held up
- Complaints about dust, broken sidewalks due to trucks turning around
- Concern about current building structure and diesel safety
- Carver Market staff washing windows and picking up trash from Sonoco
- Cheryl from Carla Smith’s office offered support for neighborhood
- NPU-Y will vote on the permit approval in two weeks at Berdine
This comes before us as a motion to approve:
All those in favor of approving their license: 0
Next steps? We may need to form a task force to present clear expectations before diesel can be approved and should continue beyond as well. Remedies requiring significant capital cannot be completed in 60 days. Discussion of a communications plan to keep neighborhood in the loop of improvement progress.
St. Vincent de Paul is having a job fair on Monday, August 15
Southside Striders – walking group walking one morning a week and one evening a week. 6 am on Wednesdays and 6 pm on Thursdays.
Leslie Grant – School Board – monthly coffee at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, August. New principals of Price and Carver will be present.
Beltline Mtg – August 9 Grant Park at Zoo 6:30-8pm 800 Cherokee Coca-Cola Room
Beltline Mtg – Sept 13 in the Gateway Bldg
New neighbor on Dorothy
NPU-Y August 16 at John Berdine
Last modified: August 2, 2016